Thursday, October 29, 2015

Buffy: Ten Things You Might Not Know




My favorite show growing up was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Granted, when it first came out I wasn’t allowed to watch it, but since my mother taught and evening economics class at the college I always did. I watched every episode that aired on TV, and I still remember the first time season one was available on DVD. Even to this day, every January and February I have my annual Whedon Rewatch. I watch Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse from start to finish. While I have since moved on to new shows (I mean, it ended over ten years ago, I sure hope I have), Buffy is still one of my all time favorite shows and a large part of my childhood and teenage life. Here are some fun facts that you might not know about Buffy and its cast (unless you are a super fan, and then you probably know everything):


  • ·      Charisma Carpenter, Cordelia Chase, was 27 years old when she was cast. Making her the oldest actress in the Scooby gang (not counting the actual adults).
  • ·      Michelle Trachtenberg was a fan of the show before she was cast in season five as Dawn. She had previously worked with Sarah Michelle Gellar on All My Children.
  • ·      While she was eventually cast as Buffy, Sarah Michelle Gellar auditioned  for the role of Cordelia Chase. While Charisma Carpenter tried out for the role of Buffy.
  • ·      Due to low season one budgets, Joss kept many of the vampires in the Master’s layer in regular face.
  • ·      Carpenter wanted to turn down the role of Cordelia, she had previously played a mean girl and worried she would be type cast.
  • ·      Nicholas Brendon’s twin brother Kelly did many of Xander’s stunts and appeared in season five’s episode The Replacement and in the episode Intervention.
  • ·      Alyson Hannigan was only cast as Willow after the original pilot was shot. You can still see find the original pilot with Riff Reagan as Willow uploaded to YouTube every once in a while. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR3J-v7QXXw
  • ·       Both the characters off Darla and Tara were supposed to die much earlier that they eventually did. Darla made it past episode two because it made the Buffy/Angel romance more interesting. Tara lasted because Joss really liked Amber Benson.
  • ·       When James Marsters auditioned for the role of Spike he did so with a Texas accent.
  • ·      After the Columbine shooting, many of season three’s episodes had to be delayed or rewritten including Graduation Day and Earshot.



No comments:

Post a Comment